In my ingredient list you will find some very specific ingredients. Although you can certainly make these tasty little buggers with your regular 'ole ingredients you can find on any grocery store shelf, I encourage you to purchase the recommended ingredients. They aren't anything weird and can be used just like "normal" in any other recipe. And the health benefits are substantial!
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup raw cocoa powder
3 Tbsp raw honey, adjust according to taste
1 tsp real vanilla extract, optional
Peanut Butter filling:
1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter)
1 cup peanut butter, or other nut butter of choice
1/4-1/2 cup honey, adjust according to taste
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, optional
Mini baking cups
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil and add the honey, removing from heat once the coconut oil is melted. Whisk together and add the cocoa powder, mixing well to combine. Add the vanilla, if using.
- Pour (approx. 1 teaspoon) into the bottom your mini baking cups. Fill enough baking cups to use about half of your chocolate mixture. Place the cups into the freezer.
- While the chocolate layer is setting, mix the peanut butter filling; melt the coconut oil and honey over the stove; remove from heat, add peanut butter, mix well and add vanilla. Add coconut, if using.
- Remove cups from freezer. Fill them 3/4 full with the peanut butter mixture (be sure to leave a little headroom at the top of your cups, we're not done yet!) Return to freezer for about half an hour.
- Again, remove your cups; add remaining chocolate mixture to the tops. Freeze until firm.
You'll need to keep these in the freezer so they don't melt. Once they are solid I drop them into a Ziploc baggie. Another great idea is to make these ingredients separately; chocolate candies and peanut butter candies. My kids love to eat the peanut butter filling by itself! Myself, I find great satisfaction eating the chocolate candy with the coconut mixed in. Lots of options!
The best part? You can offer your children dessert without guilt. A fantastic treat loaded with great healthy ingredients.
You should try these. Seriously.